Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weekend Cruising

Took the TA out Saturday and Sunday. The first start of the day, it takes some effort, then, it drives beautifully. I still can't get over how easy the handling is.

I went out on the highway and took it to a little over 70 MPH at one point, but didn't want to go any faster. Yet.

It was funny b/c you could tell a lot of drivers wanted to drive close and take a look--and they did. I've never been surrounded by so many cars with so little traffic.

I mulled going to one of the cruise-ins this weekend: Year One in Braselton, Locust Grove, or Canton, but ended up not going. I might see what's up next weekend. Liza's got Sunday School teacher training all day Saturday, so maybe I can convince her to come to a cruise-in after that. There's one in East Point and another in Griffin (which would be a haul).

I tried to fix the headliner with some rubber cement. Bad idea. I did some research and tried to find a particular type of adhesive. Well I went to AUP (an auto parts chain) and MC (a craft store chain) and AH (a hardware store chain) with no luck.

Finally I wised up and went to Firebird Nation for info and advice. Within a few hours, I had several suggestions, including where to get the adhesive I was looking for.

Off I went in the TA to a nearby Autozone. Sure enough, the adhesive was there. But I couldn't stop at that, and ended up with about $85 worth of "stuff" (somehow I managed to already have WD-40 and Armor All):

Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax
Armor All Triple Action Wheel Cleaner
Armor All Extreme Tire Shine
Detail brush set
sponges; a bucket
shop rags (I don't have any "old" t-shirts other than my old concert tees, and those will go up on EBay at some point, a victim of my approaching 40 which could be age or nearly my waistline)
gloves
hand cleaner (the salesguy, a master of upselling or whatever you want to call it, said I could "have" it for .99. I bit)

Unfortunately when I got home, I couldn't find the rubbing alcohol I thought we had, so that's another trip. This was the gunky adhesive remedy I felt comfortable trying--as opposed to another suggestion, lighter fluid.

Since it's been, oh, 100 degrees or more for most of the week (make that month) I haven't been in a hurry to actually fix the headliner although I'm tired of it flapping around.

Two thumbs up while driving around: one from a guy who looked like he was a TA owner in high school, and the other from a guy who looked like he is in high school.

No comments: