Wednesday, August 1, 2007

1st & 2nd Days With My New Trans Am Pt. 3

The moment of truth has arrived. It's time to go.

The futzing I had seen MTS and PTTH doing was the guys putting air in the tires and doing last minute checks, and not fixing any catastrophic thing. PTTH did a battery load test at my request (all clear) and all was ready.

I thanked them both (hopefully I'll remain thankful) and told them I'd take good care of the car.

(I haven't decided if it's a he or a she, so unfortunately for now it's "the car" or something similar.)

They seem to be good folks, and I'm glad at this point that I did business with them. I make a mental note to let them know when the car has reached Georgia. We shake hands, wish each other luck with our new vehicles (MTS has a new truck), and I climb in.

I look for the lever to pull the seat forward. The first thing I notice is how LOW to the ground I feel--more than usual that is. Man, I am sitting low and have to look over the dash.

The car starts, a bit rough but ok. Fred and Jerry are waiting up the block.

I pull out, hoping to NOT hit MTS's new truck on the way out. All is good. I'm backed out now and put the car in drive for the first time, and gently push down the gas pedal.

Off we go! It's definitely noisier than anything else I've ever driven, save for a beatup pickup and another vehicle I can't recall, both driven in South Carolina by boyfriends sometime in 86-87.

The steering is easy, a straight drive, good power. We drive through two streets before getting on the interstate.

Because I'm driving without a plate (but I've got the title and insurance binder) I decide to take it easy and let the minivans cruise past me. Not to mention we saw speed traps on the way there, naturally. The ride back is noisy and relatively smooth. I wish I had taken the t-tops off. Despite this, I feel glorious.

When we arrive back, we get to eat a late dinner before I take people out for a ride around the neighborhood. Joan and Fred let me use their third parking space, and the VW van gets the boot outside.

It is hot under the hood! Did any of my other cars ever get this hot? Or did I just not care? Most likely. I raise the hood and decide to leave it up overnight to help the engine cool faster and I leave the garage door open for awhile.

I think a small car seat could fit in the back seat ok. Not optimal--Noah would have to sit on a side and not in the middle because of the hump in the center of the seat--but I think it's workable. I think he'd enjoy it and I make a note to find his sunglasses.

I spend a humid half hour or so just being with this machine. I am now the owner of a classic Trans Am. I'm happy.

No comments: