Thursday, August 2, 2007

1st & 2nd Days With My New Trans Am Pt. 4

The second day has arrived, August 2.

I spent a relatively sleepless first night debating whether or not I wanted to stick with my original plan to drive the car back to Georgia.

There's nothing wrong with the car that I am aware of, and nothing it did or didn't do has made me think that it would break down during the drive. BUT...the cautious side of me says not to chance it. I had done earlier research on how much it would cost to have the car trucked to GA, and it's not an awful number, but it's doable.

MTS had indicated that he had not driven the car a lot (indeed, about 3k miles!) and so I knew the TA would not be used to such a drive of around 13 hours and/or somewhere around 800 miles.

After research that included checking the Better Business Bureau, I go with a nationwide company with a local office in Milwaukee.

Al is a nice, seemingly older fellow who is a bit hard of hearing, but eventually we hammer out the details. The only thing their insurance doesn't cover is if the suspension falls out. I pray that this exact thing does NOT happen to my TA.

Unfortunately he cannot take the car until around August 13, with delivery around the 15th, which means that the car will not be physically in my possession on my birthday or the day before when I was planning to go (with the Trans Am) to my first meeting of the Atlanta Camaro and Firebird Association and then to a cruise-in in a nearby town. I'm sad, but there will be other meetings and cruise-ins.

Joan will take care of making arrangements with Al while I am back in Georgia.

I'm nervous about the whole trucking thing, about how none of this will be in my control. I'm worried about damage, etc. I hope this decision turns out to be the right one!

This morning Joan took me over to the nearest DMV to get a temporary Wisconsin tag. The well-meaning clerk asked the model of the car, and I replied, "Firebird Trans Am" to which she replied, "It can't be both"...to which I said, "well, actually..." and explained that the Trans Am was a version of the Firebird. And if I'm wrong, well, she won't know.

In the meantime I'm hoping to have this insurance thing done by tomorrow, Friday. I'm quite certain now that when the bank said that my insurance papers were "en route" it meant they were putting them in the mail Monday, which was the day I called and fussed at them. I'm cranky about the runaround I've gotten, but all should work out in the end.

No driving today, maybe tomorrow.

No comments: